Some Sony Xperia Z and ZL users are finding themselves in a frustrating situation, as they are able to get their hands on the latest Android update from Sony. The update officially started rolling out on 23rd December, but even after a week, there are many who have not received it.
Their official blog stated, The next Sony software rollout for Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z officially starts right about now*…" on 23rd Dec. So why are some users finding it difficult?
The reason is simple. Sony has not rolled out the update OTA - that is, Over The Air, in all markets. So you won't get to see the update by checking on your phone. You will need to connect your phone to a PC/Laptop/Mac in order to get the update. Install PC companion, from Sony's website.
Once installed, open PC Companion, under the Support Zone, click on Start. After that, click on the option which says Phone?tablet software update. This is where you the application checks your phone and contacts the server. Most of the time, it will return an error, saying that it is not able to connect to the server, try later.
But, don't get disappointed. This is not the end and you can still get 4.3 on you Xperia Z/ZL/ZR and Tablet Z. In the same box, where the error is displayed, you will see a link, 'repair my phone/tablet'. Click on this, and your phone will be updated to the latest Android 4.3 (10.4.B.0.569 ). This will take time depending on the speed of your internet connection.
Your phone memory will be wiped completely. Please take back-up of all important data. All the best. Enjoy your new phone.
Following are the changes you will notice under this update
- Google’s Android 4.3; Jelly Bean as standard – bringing Project Butter performance & UI optimisation and a smoother graphical experience
- Launched with Xperia Z1, we’re now bringing Sony’s Smart Social Camera to these devices – our signature camera experience, that lets you download, access and enjoy “Xperia camera apps” directly from within the viewfinder
- We’re also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions – bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, Sony Select and…
- Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration* – a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, offering seamless access to both local and cloud content
- The launch of our unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – more on this soon…
- The latest Android security enhancements, matched with Sony’s mobile enterprise solution: Xperia in Business
- Battery STAMINA Mode – updated version of Sony’s power management app, now withrefreshed interface and more smart options for prolonging battery life
- Increased user control for Xperia Tablet Z, with “Restricted Profiles”; option to createisolated, secure spaces with individual local storage, home screens, widgets and settings